Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Excerpt 2: The Goblin, The Witch, and the Single Girl

EXCERPT: Paranormal/Contemporary

A sudden chill filled the room, and Caitlin shivered. A spiral of blurred colors twirled behind Niles, and she stood immobile, staring in fascination. Purples, black, blues, and greens blended and swirled until moments later the woman dressed as a witch appeared.

"What the hell…"

A wicked cackle of laughter resonated through the foyer, and Caitlin gawked and took a step back. She never allowed her vision to waver from the pair that stood in her foyer. Niles turned to face the witch, his chin raised to meet the woman’s brilliant green eyes. Vinzella? Is that what he had called her?

"So, you are the girl who has come between my love and I," Vinzella sneered, her gaze molded on Caitlin. "Do you think I will allow you to take him away from me?"

"I…I don’t know what you’re talking about. Who are you?"

A tremor traveled down her spine. The fine hairs on the back of her neck prickled and sent little shockwaves of apprehension along her back, flooding out to her limbs. Her palms grew moist, and tension tugged at her temples. This woman is as crazy as her son, but she did call him her ‘love’.

"Niles has refused me even more adamantly since you moved into this house and toyed with his affection. I’m telling you to get out. Out of this house. Out of my Niles’s life. Or, I will cast a thousand demons upon you."

Caitlin took another step backward. "I think both of you need to leave. Go home. I’ve had enough of your insane games."

"Leave? I think not! You will be the one to leave. Niles has lived here for almost three decades. And I think he quite enjoys the view. However, the view has become disruptive with your presence." Vinzella’s voice conveyed a hidden threat. A depraved, almost demented, tone.

"I have never been your love, Vinzella," Niles interrupted. Anger and loathing coated each word that he spoke. "It is because of that very reason I have had to live in this body for the last three decades. I have told you to stay away from me. I will never love you."

"Don’t ever attempt to humiliate me in front of her, Niles." With those words spoken, Vinzella pointed her finger down at the goblin, and he rose into the air, twirling and somersaulting head over feet. "I will deal with you in time, my love."

She dropped her hand, but Niles floated helplessly in mid-air. Her attention returned to Caitlin, and she closed the gap that separated them. Caitlin retreated until her back pressed against the door she had struggled to open.

"Either leave this house, or you shall suffer the consequences. I will not hesitate to rid this house of you in my own way."

"I bought this house. It is my home."

"Count your blessings that all you will lose is this home. You have forty-eight hours to get your belongings and yourself out of here. I’ll be back then. If you are still here, I will destroy you."

A thick cloud of fog enveloped the witch. Caitlin stood paralyzed with fear, her mind locked in battle with each strange event she witnessed. Her eyes grew wide when the fog dissipated and Vinzella no longer stood before her. A loud thump diverted her attention, and she found Niles crumpled into a heap on the floor. He sat up cautiously, rubbing his forehead. His gaze met hers.

"Ohmigod!" Caitlin rushed to Niles’s side and squatted next to him, as she checked him for injuries. Her fingertips examined his forehead and arms for any broken bones. "Are you okay? How did she do that?"

Read more or purchase at Freya's Bower

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home